Prevention of coronavirus disease includes regular hand washing, the use of an antiseptic, and the wearing of a medical mask.
Of course, you can buy a medical mask at a pharmacy. But the demand for these products is extremely high, so consumers are constantly complaining about the high price or lack of goods in stock. There is a solution: make a mask yourself, using our simple lessons.
An easy way to make a double gauze mask
Important! Masks effectively protect against viruses only together with other preventive measures: regular treatment of hands with alcohol-containing antiseptic or water and soap.
fabric (2 types if desired, for mask and finishing); elastic tape; chalk or pencil for fabric; ruler; fabric scissors; pins; iron; a sewing machine and threads.
Material recommendations: mask material – gauze, cotton, linen. It is possible to use cotton wool as an additional layer between the base fabric.
Materials dimensions: fabric (gauze) 30*20 cm (14*7.8 in) and 10*4.5 cm (3.9*1.7 in); elastic tape 16-17 cm (6.7 in).
* The sizes are calculated for an average adult, if necessary, adjust them.
- Fold the main part in half. Sew along the side 20 cm long, leaving an allowance of 0.7 cm. Turn out detail and iron.
- Fold the part so that the raw edges are on the sides and the seam is on the bottom. Measure 3.8 cm (1.2 in) from the bottom line, place a mark and draw a horizontal mark. Measure 2.5 cm (0.7 in) from this mark and draw a second line.
- Lay the fold as shown in the picture, focusing on the drawn lines. Pin the folds around the edges.
- For the second fold, measure 1.7 cm (0.3 in) from the top line (which is also the fold line) and draw a line. Then measure 2.5 cm (0.8 in) from this line and draw another one. On these lines, lay the second fold so that the lines coincide. Lay the third fold in the same way.
- Fasten the folds with stitches.
- Pin the elastic tape to the edges of the mask. Fasten the ends of the tape with short stitches.
- Fold strips for inside out and iron. Place the strip on top of the elastic so that the raw edges align. Wrap the tip. Fasten with stitches stepping back 0.7 cm from the edge.
- Fold back the strip and wrap it on the other side. Fasten it with pins. Stitch the edge. Then, stitch the stripe at the other edge. Repeat with the second stripe. It’s done!
This is one of the easiest facial masks to sew with your own hands. The mask sits comfortably due to the folds.
How to use the mask correctly
- The product should fit tightly to the nose and mouth.
- The folds on the mask must be unfolded, giving the mask a more functional shape to fit snugly to the face.
- Important: To prevent yourself from becoming infected with the virus, remove the mask carefully. Then, immediately throw it away; a reusable mask should be thoroughly washed in hot water with ordinary detergent or soap, dried and ironed on both sides.
- The mask should be changed every two hours.
Of course, such a mask will not be fully equivalent to a factory mask, but it will still provide some protection. Besides, you can wash the mask from fabric and reuse it.
Which sewing machine to use? You may find this useful:
Just in case, here are the basic recommendations of physicians on the use of masks and behavior in general during the spread of viral infections:
* It is advisable to wear masks first of all for those who are already sick, to minimize the spread of infection during coughing or sneezing.
* If you are healthy and want to protect yourself against infection, a mask can also help you. For example, if someone has sneezed or coughed next to you, a mask may limit the spread of infection to the mucous membranes of your mouth and nose.
* It is recommended that you wear the factory mask for no more than 2 hours and that you wear a tissue mask or gauze mask for no more than 3 hours. The fabric mask can then be washed and used again.
* In general, to protect against infection, you should wash your hands regularly (at least 20 seconds with soap), do not touch the eyes, mouth, and nose (and face in general) with dirty hands and try not to come into contact with those infected.
What else is important to know?
- The more layers the mask has, the better the protection.
- The material has to breathe, otherwise, you can’t stay in the mask for long and just take it off.
- Even if the mask is reusable, it should not be worn for more than 24 hours, but must be washed.
By the way, a mask made of fabric with your hands can also help during seasonal allergies. For those who are allergic to flowering plants, doctors recommend wearing this mask when going out. It can restrict the allergen from entering the body during breathing.